Turmeric is a spice majorly used in India in almost every cuisine. It is also known as golden spice or Indian saffron. It is a bright yellow powder and has a little warm and bitter taste. Curcumin is the main and the most active compound of turmeric which has various benefits. The roots of turmeric are used to make medicines and curcumin is used as a coloring agent for food and cosmetics. Although turmeric has many benefits but can turmeric cause Anxiety?
According to the research, turmeric is good for health. It is herbal medicine. Before using turmeric, the rhizomes of turmeric must be processed. The Rhizomes are boiled to gelatinize the starch, to get rid of the raw odor, to get better color and flavor. Turmeric is used in food, medicine, and cosmetics. It also used to color sweets, butter, cheese, etc.
Can Turmeric cause anxiety?
According to the researchers, Turmeric is a medicine that helps to reduce stress. Turmeric is being used as medicine for centuries. It is used on cuts as antiseptic, on burns as antibacterial, it strengthens overall energy and helps in improving digestion and used as medicine for many other things.
Psychological and emotional stress negatively affects the physical body. The stressed person starts to feel tired and irritated.
Stress causes the following problems-
- Physical changes: Due to stress the person’s physical appearance starts to change might lose too much weight or gain too much in a small portion of the time. Especially the belly fat gets increased due to stress.
- Sleeplessness: Stress and anxiety cause sleeplessness at night, thinking of the over a particular thing again and again can cause sleeplessness at night.
- High Blood Pressure: Due to stress and anxiety the main problem which almost stressed persons are facing is high blood pressure because of stress and anxiety the person feels angry and this problem occurs.
- Irritation: The major problem due to stress and anxiety is an irritation. The person starts staying irritated most of the time.
- Tiredness: The person feels tired almost every time because the psychological stress affects the physical body
- Skin problem and hair-fall: It is majorly found in women, wrinkles and fine lines that come early on the face. Both men and women face loss due to stress and anxiety.
These are some major problems caused by Anxiety and there are many more like insomnia, memory-related issues, etc.
Role of Curcumin in our Body
- Curcumin helps in repairing the cells of the body which got damaged due to stress and anxiety. Curcumin doesn’t let the cells of the brain die but instead, it develops new brain-cell connections, which become damaged from continuous stress.
- Curcumin fights with anxiety and depression. According to studies, curcumin is shows remarkable stress-relieving, anti-anxiety, and antidepressant effects. Anyone suffering from chronic stress or depression should add curcumin to fight the effects of anxiety or depression. Stress can affect the brain and can lead to low-grade inflammation and eventually to death.
- Curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties that make it a major anti-depressant. Studies show that curcumin (500 mg twice daily) was found more effective than a placebo to fight depression and it shows that the adults who were suffering from depression, curcumin work better than the anti-depressants. By taking curcumin with the prescribed medicines shows greater improvement than the medicines alone.
- Curcumin is considered as one of the most suitable therapy to treat depression and anxiety. So we can say that Turmeric cannot cause Anxiety, instead, it treats it and works as a medicine to anxiety and depression. Studies show that turmeric reduces the symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Researchers have found turmeric useful in treating a wide variety of neurological disorders. Curcumin also changes monoaminergic action, which is responsible for regulating neurotransmitters, namely dopamine, serotonin, and epinephrine.
- It is naturally an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-cancer agent. It also helps in protecting the brain against brain aging. It can improve mental health i.e. can improve memory, focus/concentration and blood flow in the brain.
- Curcumin can be combined with other natural remedies for depression. It is considered the best and the accurate for the patients of anxiety and depression. One can see the improvement by taking this. So turmeric is the medicine for anxiety not the cause of anxiety.
Anxiety can worsen your health but you cannot die from it but Can Turmeric Cause Anxiety? The answer to it is NO. Turmeric cannot cause anxiety instead it improves the health of the person who is suffering from it. Turmeric is not the cause of anxiety but instead, it is a medicine for anxiety. If a person takes it with their prescribed he will see the great improvement before time.
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-cancer properties that fight against a lot of diseases and anxiety is one of them. Turmeric has historic importance and it is being used for centuries. It is being used especially in Asia and South Africa. Curcumin is the main and the most active compound which has many various benefits. The roots of Turmeric are used to make medicines and curcumin is used to make food colors and cosmetics. Curcumin is considered as one of the most suitable therapies and best therapy for anxiety and depression.
Side effects of consuming Turmeric
- Usually, there are no serious side effects seen with turmeric. But sometimes one can experience dizziness, nausea, stomach upset, or diarrhea.
- During pregnancy, it might stimulate the uterus; thereby the pregnancy might be at risk.
- Turmeric can cause gallbladder problems. Do not use turmeric if you have gallstones or any gallbladder problem.
- Curcumin might decrease blood sugar in people with diabetes.
- It can cause iron deficiency.
So there are many pros and cons of turmeric but if you ask ‘Can Turmeric cause Anxiety’ then the answer is ‘NO’.